Friday, May 15, 2009

At 16 and 18

Well Hubby and I first met in 1992 while I was riding the bus from my horrible summer job. I couldn't figure out why this dude was staring at me so I gave him my meanest look. I really wanted to just get home and forget about the day. He just wouldn't let me. His persistence prevailed and he introduced himself as he asked me the directions to a neighborhood pool. I directed him or should I say I walked him there. He told me I should come back to talk to him after I got myself home from work. I had plans to go to the Edge Water to get my beach on (as much of a beach that Ohio would provide) but I changed plans as I was seriously ticked that my little sister had my beach towel at the pool with her. So I stormed down to Lake Pool with one of the neighborhood friends to retrieve my towel and guess who is there waiting on me. When I arrived there he was smiling ear to ear and waiting to sign me in.. Later I found out this guy couldn't even swim so why was he even working a the pool. Well, I just decided to stay since I was already there and the conversation was getting good. This is where we started. Our relationship began right there at Lake Pool. He was 18 and I was 16. Two kids who grew up on the west side of Cleveland, both to single mothers in the hood. Little did we know we were destined to be together. He was so close to me living on 44th and I on 86th in Detroit. So close yet so far away. He was busy trying to graduate and I was just in my sophmore year of highschool.

What is the common denominator here? No fathers in our home. My dad was around but he was a HB dad (Holiday and Birthday Dad). My hubby never knew his father. We both had siblings. I have a sister and brother who are twins and are 4 years younger. My hubby is a middle child with 5 siblings, 3 sisters and 2 brothers. All have different fathers. My brother and sister's father was never there. My hubby's siblings father was absent as well. Damn you would have thought we would have been screwed up more than we were but God had a plan for my hubby and I. Big plans. Throughout the bible it speaks of men teaching their children everything from the commandments to regulations and the ways of the Lord our God. I don't see where the text is speaking to the women to teach the children and do it alone. It is all masculine. So how did our society get to this point when our black men are fleeing the households?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.